A man who was convicted of an on-line scam selling products that claimed to ‘kill’ the HIV virus has been sentenced to 240 hours community service.
Admare Jinga used his base in Belfast to set up a company that advertised and distributed products overseas, particularly to his native Zimbabwe.
In June, he was found guilty of fraud by false representation. He had already admitted a second charge of marketing medicines for human use without proper authorisation.
The 31-year-old University of Ulster graduate was sentenced at Belfast Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
Jinga, who now lives in Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland, will carry out his community service over the next 12 months. During the trial, Belfast Magistrates Court had heard that Jinga established a company called Savec Healthcare Ltd in 2007, when he was living in south Belfast.
Up until 2009 it marketed products as alternative forms of treatment for the HIV infection. They claimed to be able to kill, prevent or stop Aids, according to the prosecution.
In the witness box Jinga said he became involved with pharmacists, a microbiologist and other Zimbabwean professionals concerned with the impact of HIV in their country. Jinga claimed that no complaints were ever received from people who used his products.
The case against him was taken by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). In a statement issued after the sentencing, the MHRA said the case was its first ever prosecution of its kind.
The agency said it took action against Jinga after he was found to be selling a machine and accompanying medicine over the internet that he falsely claimed could cure HIV and Aids.
“There are no known cures for HIV so any claim to this effect is illegal,” the MHRA statement added.
for well-being news and info or
- Computer Simulations Help Explain Why HIV Cure Remains Elusive
- What Can We Do Now to Speed Up HIV Cure Research?
- Nobel laureate, discoverer of HIV, says a cure for HIV is in sight!
- Even without a cure, the end of the AIDS pandemic is in sight
- A Cure for HIV/AIDS Has Got a Step Closer!
- I Am Living Proof That There Could Be a Cure For AIDS!
- A Message of Hope for a HIV Cure from Timothy Brown
- MEDICAL HISTORY – Child Born with HIV Cured!
- Baby Cured of HIV – Here’s the real message..
- Early HIV drugs ‘functionally cure about one in 10
- Fighting Fire with Fire.. How HIV is Used to Cure Cancer!
Glowing cats to cure HIV? (You read that right)!